Monday, November 28, 2005

Community Announcement: Part One

The Facilities Manager at my place of employ has just forwarded the following police alert. He describes it as a message regarding a "particularly bizarre scam". I disagree with him on all counts.



eAlert Message from The City of London Police

Message Start

There have been a number of recent incidents of a male approaching members of the public offering to sell them cigarettes at discounted prices. The money is handed over and the male then leaves on the pretext of returning with the cigarettes, but is never seen again! This male is a convincing con-man, and has a likeable and amiable persona. He is very distinctive looking and has been described as an 'Uncle Albert' look-alike. He is 65-70, approx 5'0'' tall, chubby, with white hair and beard.

Message End

This is not a warning about a scam. This is a warning to all of us that there are dangerous idiots in our midst, and the only thing "bizarre" about this man's scheme is that it appears to work. It's a mystery to me how anybody stupid enough to be taken in by this stunt has survived long enough reach an age where they might be in charge of a wallet.

"Hey, uh, just gimme the money and I'll be back in a minute with the stuff, I promise - in fact, why don't I take your mobile phone as insurance?"

Be careful out there this winter, people. We are surrounded by fools.

2 Mewling Pricks

At 12:40 am, Blogger lucretius ejaculated...

I'm still waiting for that hobo to come back with that bottle of Jack he promised me or, failing that, that fivespot I gave him to buy it for me back in '85. It's getting awfully cold outside this boarded up liquor store.

 
At 12:50 am, Blogger Snotty McShot ejaculated...

Hey I think I know that guy. Gimme a tenner and wait here, I think I can get it back for you.

Promise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Back to Reception