Wednesday, May 04, 2005

100,000 Welcomes? That'll be 50 quid.

Before I get going with this, I am no xenophobe. I despise all nationalities equally.

Yesterday a man called at my door. He was unable to communicate with me beyond handing me a small slip of paper where written in English was approximately the following:

"Hello, I am a poor student from Poland. I need money to help me etc etc, so I am selling these pictures which I have drawn..."

So far so heartbreaking. I skim to the bottom while fumbling in my pocket for the 2 Euro coin I know is in there somewhere...

"1 picture = €12"

12 Euros? That can't be right. I ask to see a picture, it’s an A3 photocopy of a poor pencil sketch.

"You want me to pay €12 for a photocopy? Sorry man."

Without remorse, I send him packing with nothing.

Its just another illustration that the cost of living here has now got way out of hand. Not only have I lost all perspective when it comes to the reasonable price for any given item, but now the door to door beggars are taking the piss.

1 Mewling Pricks

At 12:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous ejaculated...

It's too bad you're not xenophobic. This would have been a great opportunity for a good Polack joke.
Like...
Q. Who was the most famous Polish inventor?
A. The guy that put a screen door on a submarine.
Or...
Q. How do you get a one-armed Polack out of a tree?
A. Wave.
Finally...
Q. How many Polish people does it take to change a light bulb?
A. A lot, because they're stupid.
That last one just never gets old, its like a big tasty bowl of microwaved week-old macaroni and cheese. Ahhh, the best things in life are free, or can be bought at the corner market.

 

Post a Comment

<< Back to Reception